Friday, January 29, 2010

Artist Review: Teun Hocks


Besides having a sweet first name, Teun Hocks also as some sweet work. I am a huge fan of the man with the broken drum. I'm not sure what exactly is so appealing about this piece, but I feel so drawn to it. The scene is full of some sort of purple plant... which I would take as a happy or pleasant scene. However, in the midst of these pleasant purple plants, the poor drummer seems to have collapsed. I love it. It seems quite surreal and dream-like.

His piece with the man and the boxes is so pleasantly surreal. Usually surrealism is not something I particularly enjoy, as they always seem to remind me of bad dreams I've had. But his piece with the man laying in the boxes, with a matching skyline behind him, is so peacefully surreal. How is it that the man is so quietly sleeping while laying in boxes outside of a city? His pieces remind me of the surrealist Magritte, who also reminded me of bad dreams. I enjoyed his work very much. The drummer is likely my favorite piece of his.

No comments:

Post a Comment