Friday, January 29, 2010

Artist Review: Jeff Wall

The works of Jeff Wall were very appealing pieces. It seamed like he was able to master "everyday" things and twist them in very unique ways. Other than this piece, titled "Gust," his works seemed very subtle. "Milk" is a very still piece, except for the milk bursting. The movement is subtle. In his other pieces, the movement is not the focus: it seems like reaction or lack of reaction is what the viewer catches. His work seems to capture a moment rather than a scene. They stand as a small piece of a narration, rather than telling a whole story themselves. I really like his piece, "Gust." I think it's the helplessness of the people that make me draw to it. He also seems to have a boring, estranged outlook on life. I'm not sure if it was his goal to give that impression, but I certainly feel that he captures the "boring" elements of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment