Saturday, February 13, 2010

Reviewing Reviews for your Review

As I got to read what others reviewed about the artists, I was able to gain new perspectives on the works. Jeff Wall seemed to have interesting responses. As Christina stated, his works seemed to be "snapshots." As Elena also said, his works seemed "well staged" and rather professional in the most artistic essence.
Tuen Hocks, as Christina said, seemed to step on the line of childhood stories and fantasies. I loved the strange Dali-esque storyline that seemed to go behind his works. Each story seemed so strange, yet they were so appealing.
Gregory Crewdson created scenes which draw the viewer to "comb through the scenes like a detective," as Michelle said. As Kara also noted, his works seemed to evoke almost "uncomfortable" emotions, which is why I feel so drawn to his pieces. The emotions aroused are rather indescribable, but strange at the very least. His pieces succeed in engaging the viewer's mind.
As Elena noted, Cindy Sherman's pieces seemed to contain a sort of narrative, a very vague narrative. I really love how Liz explained that while the other artists relied heavily on light and color, Cindy Sherman relied on image and narrative rather than color. I enjoyed the reviews because each person brings forth unique perspectives which allow me to enjoy the pieces in different ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment